Ford says announcement on schools coming in 'next day or two'

  • Ford says announcement on schools coming in 'next day or two'

Ford says announcement on schools coming in 'next day or two'

Education Minister Stephen Lecce and Health Minister Christine Elliott will join the premier for the announcement at Queen's Park on Wednesday.

CTVNewsToronto.ca will stream Ford's announcement live at 1 p.m.

Sources confirmed to 680 NEWS on Tuesday that Ford and his cabinet were leaning towards keeping schools closed to in-person learning, although no final decision had been made.

Ford has indicated hesitance to do so, saying he was concerned about the possible increase in COVID-19 transmission brought on by school reopening, and citing still unreleased modelling he says indicates school reopening could lead to a fourth wave of virus transmission.

The province is aiming to start reopening the economy later this month with looser rules on businesses and outdoor activities.

Ontario's stay-at-home order has been lifted, but the Ford government said all COVID-19 restrictions will remain in place until the province enters Stage 1.

Last week, Ford sent a letter to various stakeholders, including the advisory tables, health officials, school boards and teachers, asking for advice on whether it would be safe to reopen for in-person learning.

The table believes most health units would be able to mitigate and manage the increases in their communities.

"In recent weeks, there has been a wide range of advice and commentary around the reopening of schools in Ontario", wrote the Premier.

Horwath says the uncertainty for parents and students has dragged on too long and the government needs to provide clarity.

According to CTV Toronto sources say the government's planning and priorities committee made the initial decision on Monday not to reopen schools for the remaining weeks of June, including on a regional basis.