Melbourne Covid cluster grows to nine

  • Melbourne Covid cluster grows to nine

Melbourne Covid cluster grows to nine

SYDNEY, May 25 ― Australia's second largest city Melbourne reinstated Covid-19 restrictions today as authorities scrambled to find the missing link in a fresh outbreak that has grown to five cases.

The state reported the new cases on Tuesday afternoon after announcing just one new infection earlier on Tuesday morning.

The cases come after four locally acquired cases emerged on Monday - a man in his 30s, a woman and man in their 70s and a pre-school aged child.

The operating hours of some 26 testing sites are also set to be expanded, including the Melbourne Showgrounds, which reached capacity after being open for five minutes on Tuesday.

The man developed symptoms on 17 May and presented for testing yesterday.

An investigation and contact tracing is underway in Melbourne following some community cases of Covid-19 appearing.

Health authorities have now identified 10 exposure sites as they race to contain the Covid-19 outbreak.

It comes after Victoria's Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton issued a warning last Friday about a "worrying" situation where traces of the virus were picked up in wastewater in the Epping and Wollert areas.

"Sometimes you can be absolutely lucky with a single case who's not particularly infectious".

He added Victorians "have to be alive to the possibility" the number of infections will continue to climb.

A Wollert man contracted the Indian strain of the virus while staying in an Adelaide quarantine hotel in early May and has brought the virus into Melbourne, which has then spread to four others in the City of Whittlesea.

Swim Schools Bundoora and Highpoint Shopping Centre as tier one exposure sites in the new outbreak, meaning anyone who attended those places at specified times must be tested and isolate for 14 days.

On Tuesday, authorities said they expected the list of exposure sites to grow over the coming days.

Anyone who has attended a tier two exposure site to get tested urgently and isolate until you have a negative result.

It is not now listed as a public exposure site as the Department has access to records of everyone who attended the hospital.

New Zealand's government has suspended quarantine-free travel from Victoria after the discovery of new community cases this week.

Private gatherings indoors will be limited to five people and public gatherings will be limited to 30 people.

"Victorians visiting regional Victoria from Melbourne will also need to wear a face mask when indoors, even when outside metropolitan Melbourne, unless an exemption applies".

Mr Merlino said checking in to venues would be compulsory from Friday, May 28.