20-year-old protester shot in head in Myanmar dies in hospital

  • 20-year-old protester shot in head in Myanmar dies in hospital

20-year-old protester shot in head in Myanmar dies in hospital

Myanmar riot police opened fire on anti-coup protesters in the country's second-largest city Mandalay on Saturday, killing two of them, multiple local media outlets reported.

The bullet, which penetrated her helmet and injured her head, was sacked by police dispersing a crowd.

An official of the medical team that treated her said, "It was most likely a live bullet".

The European Union - whose foreign ministers will meet Monday to discuss measures against the generals - extended its sympathy to Mya Thwate Thwate Khaing's family and friends, said spokeswoman Nabila Massrali.

She has become a symbol of resistance for protesters, who have hoisted her photos high in demonstrations and even unfurled a massive banner of artwork from a bridge showing the moment she was shot.

"I want to encourage all the citizens to join the protests until we can get rid of this system", her sister, Mya Tha Toe Nwe, told reporters.

"We are heartbroken and can not talk about it much now", her brother said, adding that a funeral service would be held on Sunday. The shootings occurred near the Yadanabon dock, where tear gas and rubber bullets were used on protesters earlier in the day.

Thousands of people gathered in the largest city, Yangon, on Friday for further demonstrations.

Ko Aung and the doctor said a second man was shot in the chest and died later of his wound.

Mya Thwate Thwate Khaing died on Friday while in intensive care at a hospital in the capital Naypyitaw, where she had been on life support for 10 days since she was shot by police cracking down on demonstrators.

Condemnation of the violence has been fierce, and US Secretary of State Antony Blinken has held talks with allied countries in recent days to press for a firm worldwide response.

"We reiterate our calls on the Burmese military to refrain from violence against peaceful protesters", spokesman Ned Price told reporters on Friday.

As well as the protests, a civil disobedience campaign has paralysed much of government business and global pressure is building on the military.

The United States, Britain, Canada and New Zealand have announced limited sanctions, with a focus on military leaders.

The army seized back power after alleging fraud in November 8 elections that Suu Kyi's National League for Democracy swept, detaining her and others.

The internet monitor NetBlocks reported that Wikipedia had been blocked in the country, joining a list of banned content that included Facebook and other social media services.

Myanmar's Assistance Association for Political Prisoners said 546 people had been detained, with 46 released, as of Friday.

Among those targeted have been railway workers, civil servants and bank staff who have walked off their jobs as part of a civil disobedience campaign aimed at crippling the army's ability to govern.

Earlier on Saturday, several thousand protesters gathered in the northern town of Myitkyina and confronted lines of police before dispersing.

The AAPP confirmed that two teachers were arrested but later released.

Protesters and residents were forced to flee the neighborhood amid the violence, as security forces chased after them.

This week, images of a soldier in the Sagaing region joining anti-coup demonstrators went viral.

The current strategy of the military government appears to be to wait the protests out, rather than try to suppress them now, calculating that economic hardship and exhaustion will eventually drive people off the streets.

"When I woke up, I realised I was wrong". She is under house arrest, accused of possessing illegal walkie-talkies and violating the country's Natural Disaster Law.

"I feel really sad about her".