Meghan Markle suffered brutal assault at family life, court rules

  • Meghan Markle suffered brutal assault at family life, court rules

Meghan Markle suffered brutal assault at family life, court rules

The lawyer also said her letter was "a message of peace" to her father "to stop him talking to the press", and that she took steps to avoid it being intercepted by sending it by FedEx through her accountant to her father's home in Mexico.

The Duchess of Sussex will argue the Mail on Sunday has "no prospect" of defending her privacy claim over the publication of a letter to her estranged father, in her bid to have her case decided without a High Court trial. "And I wish the same for you".

They were in regular contact with Mr Markle in the run-up to their 2018 wedding, the lawyers said, and had been anxious about him.

If she loses, then it will go to a full trial later this year, potentially forcing Meghan and her father to face each other in court to give testimony.

The paper has said the duchess was willing for other private matters to become public if it suited her interests, and it was justified in publishing parts of the letter in response to interviews her anonymous friends had given to the US magazine People, and because of her royal status.

The full trial of the duchess's claim had been due to be heard at the High Court this month, but a year ago the case was adjourned until autumn 2021.

Mr Markle is supporting the defendant, the Mail on Sunday's publishers Associated Newspapers, in this case. It's being presided over by Mr Justice Warby in the High Court.

But Meghan's lawyers said she simply indicated to someone she knew had been approached by the authors that the "true position" could be "communicated to the authors to prevent any further misrepresentation".

Meghan, 39, is suing Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL), publisher of the Mail on Sunday and MailOnline, over an article which reproduced parts of the handwritten letter sent to 76-year-old Thomas Markle in August 2018.

In response to that point, Mr Rushbrooke said: "Yes, she is in some senses a public figure, but that does not reduce her expectation of privacy in relation to information of this kind".

Thomas Markle has spoken out against his daughter in the media.

In a written witness statement submitted by the defence, he said the article "had given an inaccurate picture of the contents of the letter and my reply and had vilified me by making out that I was dishonest, exploitative, publicity-seeking, uncaring and cold-hearted, leaving a loyal and dutiful daughter devastated".

"I was shocked by what it said about me", the Duchess' father wrote. It was a criticism of me.

She said she then informed Jason Knauf, Kensington Palace's director of communications, about her letter and showed him a draft. It showed no concern about the fact I had suffered a heart attack and asked no questions about my health.

He said he had "never meant to talk publicly about Meg's letter" until he read the People magazine piece which, he claimed, suggested he was "to blame for the end of the relationship". The case will be heard remotely due to the pandemic.

Judge Mark Warby approved an earlier application by the duchess for the trial to be postponed. He said the reason for the delay should remain secret.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, who quit frontline royal duties in March citing media intrusion, have denied being involved in the publication of the book, "Finding Freedom". They recently bought a house in Santa Barbara, California.