Top US journalist suspended after false Twitter hacking claims

  • Top US journalist suspended after false Twitter hacking claims

Top US journalist suspended after false Twitter hacking claims

About a week ago, C-SPAN Washington Journal anchor and second presidential debate moderator Steve Scully tweeted a cryptic tweet to Trump hater Anthony Scaramucci.

Scully had asked Scaramucci, via Twitter, "should I respond to trump".

During that same hour, a tweet directed at Scaramucci went out from Scully's blue-checked Twitter account asking, 'should I response to Trump?'

This will be the first time in more than 30 years, Mr. Scully won't be part of C-SPAN's election night coverage.

C-SPAN said Scully confessed to lying about the hack on Wednesday.

"He understands that he made a serious mistake", the network said.

He said the culminating moment of these attacks was when Trump called him out by name on Hannity, which was the president's second call-in appearance last Thursday as he was homebound at the White House recovering from the coronavirus. 'The next morning when I saw that this tweet had created a new controversy, I falsely claimed that my Twitter account had been hacked'. "We were very saddened by this news and do not condone his actions". "Some more bad stuff about to go down", Scaramucci replied.

Now, AP reports Scully has been suspended indefinitely for lying about being hacked.

The tweet - evidently meant to be a private message - was sent after the president called the C-SPAN editor a "never Trumper", on account of his past work in Joe Biden's Senate office.

Upon hearing news that Scully had not been hacked, President Trump boasted on Twitter: "I was right again!".

The Commission on Presidential Debates and others rushed to defend Scully's tweet, claiming he did not post it.

President Trump used the development as an opportunity to attack the debate commission on Thursday, claiming on Twitter "the Debate was Rigged!" and "the Trump Campaign was not treated fairly by the "Commission".

The Trump campaign's attack on the nonpartisan debate commission began after the September 29 debate with former vice president Joe Biden, which had been marked by Trump's constant interrupting and moderator Chris Wallace, of Fox News, failing to gain control of the proceedings.

Soon after Scully's suspension was announced, Mr Trump responded to the news, heralding his own "good instincts".

He has a history of claiming hacks after a tweet causes much controversy. And then at that point, he turned to Scaramucci for advice, Scully now admits in a statement he released to the press where he apologized for his actions.

Now both candidates are squaring off in separate solo Town Halls that will be aired at the exact same time, with no future debates scheduled.