Finland's Prime Minister Leaves EU Summit After COVID-19 Exposure

  • Finland's Prime Minister Leaves EU Summit After COVID-19 Exposure

Finland's Prime Minister Leaves EU Summit After COVID-19 Exposure

Finland's prime minister Sanna Marin today left an European Union summit to self-isolate after attending a meeting with a Finnish MP who has since come down with Covid-19.

"I left the European Council meeting as a precautionary measure and asked the Swedish Prime Minister Stefan Löfven to represent the Finnish end of the meeting time", Marin wrote in a Twitter statement.

Finnish media reported that the prime minister had attended a joint meeting with another member of parliament, Tom Packalen, on Wednesday, and that he had later tested positive for the virus.

Marin's departure from the summit came a day after EU Commission president Ursula von der Leyen left the summit to self-isolate after learning that a member of her staff had tested positive for the virus.

Marin will return to Finland, where she will be tested for Covid-19 and self-isolate at the prime minister's residence in Helsinki.

"This summit should be held as a video conference", she told reporters on arrival in Brussels.

Last month, a summit was postponed for a week after Council president Charles Michel went into coronavirus quarantine.

Marin, who became the world's youngest prime minister when she took office at 34 past year, posed in the October issue of Trendi magazine with a shirtless jacket underneath.

A photo session attended by the Prime Minister of Finland, Sana Marin, Sparked a debate about sexism in the country.

"It was a bit surprising", she said, adding, "We've had this kind of picture before, obviously, in a glossy women's fashion magazine: We've photographed women in jackets with nothing underneath for years and years, with famous people, and why not They never create any response like this".

Two other European Union top officials, the bloc's top diplomat Josep Borrell and the commissioner for humanitarian aid Janez Lenarcic, went into isolation this week after coming into contact with people who tested positive for the virus during a trip to Ethiopia. 'This is not an ordinary job or a normal life but heavy in many ways.