Another suspect charged in alleged MI kidnap plot

  • Another suspect charged in alleged MI kidnap plot

Another suspect charged in alleged MI kidnap plot

President Donald Trump once again went after Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer on Thursday morning during an interview on Fox Business. The arrest warrant says Higgins participated in the plan to kidnap Whitmer by November 3, the date of the presidential election, between March 1 and October 12.

Higgins participated "in a plan of domestic terrorism that included storming the Michigan Capitol building and harming government officials, "the attorney general's office said".

Federal charges were filed against six others in the alleged conspiracy to kidnap Whitmer. During a weekend trip to land owned by Garbin in Luther between September 12 and September 13, the Federal Bureau of Investigation says the group, including a "Wisconsin man", split up into three cars and performed a nighttime surveillance mission at and near Whitmer's vacation home where they discussed detonating a highway overpass to slow down any potential police response.

At least three of the defendants were among hundreds of protesters, many carrying weapons, who thronged the MI capitol on April 30 as state lawmakers debated Whitmer's request to extend her emergency health authority. The affidavit says some of the men were motivated by a desire to punish government officials who they believed were violating the U.S. Constitution.

A spokesperson for Nessel said it was uncertain whether Higgins had an attorney. The verbal attack comes just one week after 13 men were charged in connection with an alleged plot to target law enforcement officers and kidnap the governor in hopes of instigating a civil war.

Seven men purportedly linked to a paramilitary group called the Wolverine Watchmen were charged in state court last week with providing material support for terrorist acts and possession of a firearm while committing a felony.

"While the political rhetoric in our nation may at times be divisive, I am encouraged by the united front our law enforcement community has displayed in response to this indescribable act of terror", Nessel said. The county district attorney's office said it wasn't known when he would appear in court there.

Another suspect in the state case, Paul Bellar, is facing extradition from SC where he was arrested last week.