Tropical systems could develop in Gulf

  • Tropical systems could develop in Gulf

Tropical systems could develop in Gulf

Tropical Storm Rene is further from the island, but is still being closely monitored.

Paulette had winds of 65 miles per hour. As of the 5 a.m. update, Rene's maximum sustained winds remained near 45 miles per hour with higher gusts.

The storm is forecast to weaken today and tomorrow before building strength again over the weekend and potentially reaching hurricane strength by Sunday night.

As of 4 a.m. CDT Friday, Paulette was located about 1,020 miles southeast of Bermuda and was moving west-northwest at 10 mph. A north-westward motion should begin Friday evening and continue into the weekend.

Rene continued to be a minimal tropical storm with top winds of 45 miles per hour.

By the time it reaches Bermuda, extended forecasts suggest the storm could boast sustained winds of 86mph.

Some weakening is forecast to take place during the next couple of days, with strengthening commencing during the weekend.

Swells generated by Paulette will likely cause "life-threatening surf and rip current conditions" across portions of the Leeward Islands and portions of the Greater Antilles, Bahamas, Bermuda, and the southeastern United States into the weekend.

The National Hurricane Center gives this area a 90% chance to develop over the next 5 days as the system pushes west. It had a 40% chance of cyclone formation over the weekend and a 60% shot at forming next week, as of the 8 a.m. update.

The second disturbance is located over the north-central Gulf of Mexico.

The National Weather Service says the "soggy and unsettled weather pattern" may bring scattered to numerous showers and thunderstorms every day this weekend. There's also a system moving off the coast of Africa in the coming days and a tropical depression is likely to form.

Spaghetti models are in general agreement that Invest 96L will track westward across South Florida and emerge over the Gulf of Mexico.

A tropical wave is now moving off the west coast of Africa, producing a large area of showers and thunderstorms.

The possibility for a tropical system to organize from this is very low until it moves into the eastern Gulf early next week.

What gets our attention with this potential system is we'll likely see it come off the coast of African farther south than Paulette and Rene, and those southern trajectories are the ones we have to monitor closely because they have the potential to make it closer to the USA mainland.

If this system becomes a tropical storm or hurricane, the next name on the 2020 Atlantic Hurricane Names List is Sally. It has a medium (40 per cent) chance of formation during the next five days.