Zanardi undergoes neurosurgery for a second time

  • Zanardi undergoes neurosurgery for a second time

Zanardi undergoes neurosurgery for a second time

Doctors at the Italian hospital in which former Formula 1 driver Alex Zanardi is recovering have said the "prognosis remains confidential" after the Italian underwent a second neurosurgery.

"Twenty-four hours after the operation the patient's clinical condition is unchanged while his neurological development is stable and remains serious", said the Santa Maria alle Scotte in Siena in a statement.

Zanardi has been in an induced coma in the ICU ever since and on Monday the hospital provided its first update in five days.

"The intervention represents a step that had been hypothesised by the team", said health director Roberto Gusinu.

"Our professionals will evaluate the evolution of the situation day by day and in agreement with the family the next bulletin will be released in about 24 hours". The 53-year-old, who has four Paralympic gold medals to his name, was riding with ex-road pro Daniele Bennati on Friday, June 19 when the accident happened.

Two-time CART champion Alex Zanardi has undergone a second brain surgery after being involved in a handbike crash on June 19 in Italy.

He had both legs amputated above the knee, with his heart stopping seven times as he lost all but a litre of the blood in his body, after a horrific crash in a Champ vehicle race at the Lausitzring in Germany in September 2001.

As well as four golds across the 2012 and 2016 Paralympics, he has also won the Venice, Rome and NY marathons, plus 12 Para-cycling World Championships.

Following his accident, Zanardi was fitted with two prosthetic limbs and after competing at the World Touring Car Championship turned to Para-cycling.