Former Reds slam Liverpool over decision to furlough non-playing staff

Jamie Carragher and Stan Collymore both release public lashings of their old Club, Liverpool, after they announced they will be using the Government furlough payment scheme for their non-playing staff.

Liverpool said salary deductions were being discussed and there was "a collective commitment at senior levels of the club" to secure jobs for employees.

Liverpool added on their website that the furloughed staff would continue to receive 100 per cent of their salaries.

Under the United Kingdom government's scheme the taxpayer covers 80% of the non-playing employees wage, up to £2,500 a month while the club pays the other 20%.

There has been a lot of confusion on whether the 2019/20 Premier League season will be completed and there has been rumours that if it was made null and void then Arsenal would be able to get a UEFA Champions League spot since Manchester City are banned from UEFA competitions and they finished fifth last season.

As well as Liverpool and Tottenham, Newcastle, Bournemouth and Norwich are the other Premier League sides to place non-playing staff on furlough. It's just plain f***ing wrong.

Former Germany midfielder Hamann, meanwhile, said the move went against the ethos of his former club.

Liverpool announced some staff were placed on furlough, which involves members of the workforce that are affected can claim 80 per cent of their wages from the United Kingdom government, though the Reds will top up any shortfall in their pay.

"That's not what the scheme was designed for. Every Premier League owner has serious cash, and make money from skyrocketing values of clubs, so what aren't you getting about YOUR owners dipping into THEIR pocket?"

Ex-England defender Carragher, meanwhile, said it had undone the club's good work.

Liverpool had previously received praise for Jurgen Klopp's displays of compassion at the start of the pandemic, while Jordan Henderson is reportedly spearheading an attempt from Premier League players to raise funds for the National Health Service.