Quebec confirms 7 cases of COVID-19, 91 others 'under investigation'

  • Quebec confirms 7 cases of COVID-19, 91 others 'under investigation'

Quebec confirms 7 cases of COVID-19, 91 others 'under investigation'

Thursday, Quebec Premier François Legault asked that anyone returning from travels overseas self-isolate for 14 days and monitor themselves for symptoms such as fever, coughing and difficulty breathing.

It is not known if the new cases come from travellers or community transmission.

On Saturday Ste-Justine hospital announced the first minor in Quebec had tested positive for coronavirus.

In addition, there are over 250 cases under investigation and 798 people have so far tested negative for the virus. In an email to the student body, Deputy Provost Fabrice Labeau wrote that the administration is taking this measure "to evaluate how today's coronavirus (COVID-19) announcement from the Quebec government will impact campus operations and academic activities".

"It's not a good idea to travel overseas", said Legault. "But it's not a good idea to visit people and take the risk that they get the coronavirus". They said the child had returned home from a trip to Europe and had not contracted the virus locally.

"We want to limit the risks of contagion", he said. "That's the best measure".

The government has also adopted a decree to declare a state of health emergency for at least 10 days.

The measure doesn't change anything on the ground, but it does give the province's Health Department more flexibility to deal with expenditures without going to tender or losing time with administrative red tape.

"We have to as a society be capable of protecting our older citizens", he said on Saturday at news conference in Quebec City.