China coronavirus death toll hits 2,592

An outbreak of pneumonia caused by a new strain of coronavirus was first registered in the Chinese city of Wuhan, Hubei province, and has since spread to more than 30 countries worldwide.

Excluding the latest cases in Hubei, the rest of China had just nine new infections on February 24, the lowest number of cases since January 20 when the national health authority began publishing nationwide data on the coronavirus infections.

The overall confirmed cases on the Chinese mainland has reached 77,150 with a total of 2,592 fatalities by the end of Sunday, the NHC said.

The case was reported on Feb 13 after the man's wife and two daughters, one of whom had been to central China's Wuhan, were confirmed to be infected with the virus.

"At 04:00 on 23 February, 31 provinces (autonomous regions, municipalities) reported 409 new confirmed cases and 150 new deaths (149 in Hubei and 1 in Hainan)".

China had 508 new confirmed cases of coronavirus infections on Monday, the country's National Health Commission said on Tuesday, up from 409 cases a day earlier.

Meanwhile, the China-World Health Organisation (WHO) joint expert team visited Hubei province, epicentre of the "COVID-19" outbreak over the weekend to conduct field investigations, the NHC said.