Andrew McCabe Will Not Face Charges From Justice Department

  • Andrew McCabe Will Not Face Charges From Justice Department

Andrew McCabe Will Not Face Charges From Justice Department

The Justice Department said Friday it will not pursue criminal charges against former FBI deputy director Andrew McCabe, after a almost two-year-long investigation into accusations brought by the agency's independent watchdog who claimed that he lacked "candor" when questioned about leaking to the media.

The investigation by the USA attorney's office in Washington arose from an October 2016 story in The Wall Street Journal that described internal debates roiling the FBI and the Justice Department weeks before the presidential election about how aggressively the Clinton Foundation should be investigated.

The decision to spare McCabe criminal charges eliminates the prospect of a sensational trial that would have refocused public attention on the chaotic months of 2016, when the FBI was entangled in presidential politics through investigations touching both main contenders - Democrat Hillary Clinton and Trump, her Republican opponent. Now, according to the officials, "no charges will be brought against him based on the facts underlying the Office of the Inspector General's April 2018 report". Former Attorney General Jeff Sessions fired McCabe after DOJ Inspector General Michael Horowitz made public a letter that suggested McCabe had lied under oath about leaking classified information to the media. It named Attorney General Bill Barr and Wray as defendants, saying that McCabe faced "unlawful retaliation for his refusal to pledge allegiance to a single man", which may be in reference to Trump.

Reacting on CNN, where he is now a contributor, McCabe said that it was an "absolute disgrace" that it took two years for the Justice Department to reach what he called the "obvious conclusion" - that he said could have been drawn "a long, long time ago".

The decision resolves a criminal investigation that spanned more than a year and began with a referral from the Justice Department's inspector general, which said McCabe repeatedly lied about having authorized a subordinate to share information with a newspaper reporter for a 2016 article about an FBI investigation into the Clinton Foundation. "We are pleased that Andrew McCabe and his family can go on with their lives without this cloud hanging over them". "This doesn't mean that I do not have, as President, the legal right to do so, I do, but I have so far chosen not to!" he wrote on Twitter. "I can not do my job here at the department with a constant background commentary that undercuts me". A White House spokesperson, Stephanie Grisham, also said Trump has full confidence in Barr's abilities as attorney general.

Former acting Federal Bureau of Investigation director Andrew McCabe claims there is an "inherent weakness" in the process the Federal Bureau of Investigation uses to obtain warrants under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act. Horowitz, in a separate report released past year, found there were "at least 17 significant errors or omissions in the Carter Page FISA applications and many errors in the Woods Procedures".