Macau to Cease All Casino Operations for a Fortnight Amid Raging Coronavirus

  • Macau to Cease All Casino Operations for a Fortnight Amid Raging Coronavirus

Macau to Cease All Casino Operations for a Fortnight Amid Raging Coronavirus

Macau is to close all casinos for two weeks with the region having reported 10 cases of coronavirus so far.

One of the reported cases is someone who works within the gambling industry, prompting the decision.

As coronavirus rate of infection and death toll continues to climb, Macau's officials have suspended the gaming industry for at least two weeks as the world steps up its efforts to bring the outbreak under control.

Ho Iat Seng announced the measure as the number of confirmed cases in mainland China surged past 20,000.

The closing was announced Tuesday afternoon by Ho Iat-seng, Macau's chief executive, that just occurred in December.

All 41 casinos as well as cinemas, theatres, bars, internet cafes and nightclubs would shut from midnight Tuesday, he said.

Ho said he would be speaking to casino owners to discuss the closures. The only other time this happened was in 2018 when the city was hit by a typhoon. While Macau has attempted to diversify away from gambling, notably through the establishment of the International Film Festival & Awards Macao, its casino gambling industry is vast.

As the only place in China where gambling is allowed, Macau's casinos account for about 80 per cent of government revenue. Previously, Mr. Ho has revealed that he was willing to see the gambling industry closed for some time due to the virus outbreak.

Some 35 million people visited the densely crowded city of just 632,000 people past year - the vast majority mainland Chinese heading to casinos that rake in each week what Las Vegas takes in a month.

The territory's civil servants have been given another week of leave following Thursday's end of a weeklong Lunar New Year holiday.

According to information from the Public Security Police Force (CPSP), around 35,000 non-resident workers live in Zhuhai with 80% of them entering Macau through the Gongbei checkpoint.

He assured thatMacau is prepared to bear the economic losses that the temporary closure would entail, hinting at a rather hard year for the gaming sector ahead, Macau's main contributor to GDP, or some 80 percent of tax revenue.

'Don't go on the streets if not necessary. "Don't be careless. Don't take it lightly".