Mysterious twist in sudden death of Jacinda Ardern's 'First Cat of NZ'

  • Mysterious twist in sudden death of Jacinda Ardern's 'First Cat of NZ'

Mysterious twist in sudden death of Jacinda Ardern's 'First Cat of NZ'

"I am stardust", the account tweeted after her death in November 2017.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern pictured on June 30, 2019 in Wellington, New Zealand.

In an article published yesterday on, the killer, identified only as Chris, came forward to tell his story.

Profiled in Vanity Fair, the feline, who had an extra toe and earned the moniker, "the first cat", even interrupted a phone call Ardern was taking with President Donald Trump, according to Stuff.

Later that day, he knocked on the Prime Minister's front door to tell her and Gayford what happened.

She said, 'That's my neighbour's cat.' I pointed at [Ardern's] house and said, 'Not this neighbour!'

Paddles had a large social media following and "thumbs" on his paws, and Chris said it was hard after he found out the cat had died.

He checked the message and it was the PM basically apologising to Chris for having to go through the whole experience and thanking him for going over and saying sorry as well as leaving a condolence card. He was really nice and said "look, it could have happened to anyone".

Just months later Chris received a phone call from the Prime Minister, who had received his daughters' heartfelt letters.

"I was also aware that to Jacinda and Clarke, Paddles was their fur baby at that point that they loved, so I was pretty gutted".

I was at the park in Point Chevalier with my two older kids and saw this small entourage come down by the beach, it was Jacinda with some relatives.

It was none other than Jacinda and she basically rang up to say 'sorry you had to go through that, thank you for stopping by and thanks for the card.'

However, my son goes over - he was four at the time - and starts playing with her niece on those circular seats that spin round and Jacinda was essentially overseeing them both. He tried to find the cat, but it ran off and Chris hoped that it wasn't injured too badly.

"It was extremely nice of her to take time out of her day to check that I was OK for running over her cat", he said. Later in the afternoon, I popped back to the neighbour's house and she said Paddles hadn't survived.