Three Dogs Die From Blue-Green Algae Poisoning Hours After Going Swimming

  • Three Dogs Die From Blue-Green Algae Poisoning Hours After Going Swimming

Three Dogs Die From Blue-Green Algae Poisoning Hours After Going Swimming

"Anytime you see really discolored green water, if you see scums or mats or floating clumps of algae, keep your dogs out, because you can't tell if blue-green algae blooms are making toxins", adds LaLiberte. By the next night, all three dogs had passed away. That's why it's so important to check the water before you or your dog get in. "It just kind of behooves anybody that sees algae in a lake, in a pond, that they'd probably want to be cautious and just not expose themselves to it or to their pets".

The owners say that within 15 minutes of leaving the pond, Abby, a West Highland white terrier, began to have a seizure. The vet told Fleming that toxic blue-green algae on the lake was likely the cause of Arya's sickness and death.

"I think a lot of people don't realize just how toxic it can be", said Natalie Gruchow, a certified veterinary practice manager at Animal Health Clinic. They multiply and bloom when the water is warm, stagnant and rich in phosphorus and nitrogen from sources such as fertilizer runoff or septic tank overflows.

Owners are going to want to look out for green colored water because that is a telling sign the water might be unsafe to pets. "I will not lose my dogs for nothing". Even dogs that avoid the water may be in danger.

While city officials couldn't confirm to the news outlet that the dogs' deaths were linked to the algae, the report said they did not dispute the algae may be responsible.

Can I be harmed by the algae?

"Toxic algae, they can cause neurotoxicity".

"It can cause anything from vomiting, diarrhea, to stiffness, to seizures, and then of course death", Gruchow said. They say that symptoms come on quickly and usually resolve within a few days, but children often have more pronounced and serious symptoms. "Ultimately, the entire food web is impacted because these toxins are produced", said Schmale.

According to the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services, toxins from cyanobacteria can impact kidneys, gastrointestinal tract, liver and nervous system of people, pets, livestock and other animals. About 30 minutes after leaving the lake, Arya started making "weird" noises and vomiting in the auto, pet parent Morgan Fleming wrote on Facebook, as per 11Alive. While mostly symptoms are mild, they can include tingling or numbness in the face, arms, and legs, headache, dizziness, loss of coordination and in rare cases, paralysis and respiratory failure.