Healthcare Facility Chief Quits After Woman in Coma Gives Birth

  • Healthcare Facility Chief Quits After Woman in Coma Gives Birth

Healthcare Facility Chief Quits After Woman in Coma Gives Birth

On Friday, KPHO-TV reported claims from sources that a woman in the facility who had been in a vegetative state after almost drowning more than a decade ago had given birth to a baby boy in December.

The CEO of the healthcare company where a woman in a vegetative state became pregnant and gave birth has resigned his position.

"As an organization, Hacienda HealthCare stands fully committed to getting to the truth of what, for us, represents an unprecedented matter", David Leibowitz, spokesman for Hacienda HealthCare, said in a statement to the Washington Post.

The source added the patient required around-the-clock care and many would have access to her room. Under his leadership, Hacienda added over three dozen programs to provide medical and therapeutic services for medically fragile infants, children and young adults as well as individuals who have developmental and intellectual disabilities.

Part of the investigation is focused on the possibility of multiple sexual assaults on the woman, including assaults on different parts of the body.

The Phoenix Police Department did not return PEOPLE's calls for comment.

He explained the organisation is also conducting a "comprehensive internal review" of Hacienda's process, protocols and people to ensure that every resident is safe and well cared for.

Police have yet to disclose any information about suspects at the time.

The news has been described as "deeply troubling" by a representative for Arizona Governor Doug Ducey.

The Arizona Department of Economic Security said they had dispatched a team to conduct health and safety checks on all members of at the facility, as reported by In a statement to KPHO-TV. Heightened patient safety measures were put in place.

Hacienda HealthCare was founded five decades ago.

But there have been reports of patient mistreatment.

In 2013, an investigation found that a staff member made "inappropriate, sexual statements" about four clients. The outlet attributed its report to a single unnamed source who had reportedly been told about the incident. That staff member was sacked.