Google ends mandatory arbitration in sexual harassment cases

  • Google ends mandatory arbitration in sexual harassment cases

Google ends mandatory arbitration in sexual harassment cases

However, Pichai's email said the company will "provide more granularity around sexual harassment investigations and outcomes at the company as part of our Investigations Report".

It followed a series of revelations about sexual harassment and misconduct at the company, including a $90m payout to Android inventor Andy Rubin after he had left Google, despite what the firm considered a credible claim of sexual misconduct against him - a claim he denies. "It's clear we need to make some changes", Pichai noted. The company also promises to revamp its reporting process "to ensure claims are handled with empathy and care, and that individuals bringing forward concerns are heard".

It also offers no information about the demand for data on the number of people who report sexual assault and harassment and ultimately leave Google.

"Harassment is never acceptable and alcohol is never an excuse", Google said in a released action statement.

Last week thousands of Google staff around the globe, including hundreds in Dublin, walked off the job for an hour in protest at the situation.

The email also outlines other changes to improve company culture, like mandatory annual training about sexual harassment (previous training was once every two years) and creating a "specialty team of advisors" to look into issues of harassment or discrimination.

The update does not address the walkout organizers' demand that the company be transparent about any exit packages awarded to those who are forced out of the company following investigation. And there's something grossly infantilizing about the section of the announcement devoted to reminding Google employees that "the onus will be on leaders to take appropriate steps to restrict any excessive consumption among their teams".

Protest organizers said Google publicly champions diversity and inclusion but doesn't do enough to put words into action.

Google CEO Sundar Pichai said in a memo sent to employees on Thursday that the company will revise its sexual harassment policy after last week's mass walkout by workers, who were protesting what they said was the tech giant's mishandling of sexual misconduct allegations against executives.

A massive turnout at the "Googleplex" in Silicon Valley was the final stage of a global walkout that began in Asia and spread to Google offices in Europe. "We've always been a vanguard company, so if we don't lead the way, nobody else will". This news, paired with stories about several other men being rewarded for bad behavior, sparked an internal movement at Google and on November 1, thousands of Google employees around the world walked out of their jobs in protest, demanding change.

"But we also have goals as a company and we can´t decide we are going to miss those".

Google on Thursday announced it's reforming the way it handles sexual misconduct cases.