Man dies eight years after eating slug on a dare

  • Man dies eight years after eating slug on a dare

Man dies eight years after eating slug on a dare

Before the dare Mr Ballard had been a promising young rugby player at his high school, Barker College, on Sydney's upper north shore.

She later said the accident completely changed his life.

Shortly after eating the slug he was diagnosed with eosinophilic meningo-encephalitis, which later caused him to fall into a coma for 420 days, and spend three years in hospital.

"The conversation came up, should I eat it?"

Sam Ballard was enjoying a few red wines with his friends when a garden slug crawled across the outdoor table in 2010.

The Sunday Project host Lisa Wilkinson confirmed that he died "surrounded by his family and loyal, loving mates". Bang. That's how it happened'.

The unusual and sad case occurred because, along with the slug, Ballard had swallowed a parasite called Angiostrongylus cantonensis, commonly known as rat lungworm, which the slug likely picked up from rat droppings, according to the U.K.'s EveningStandard.

Most people will develop no symptoms at all from ingesting the parasite and will fully recover without treatment.

"His friends have stuck by him ever since".

He lost his fight for life on Friday and his last words to his mother were "I love you".

Sam has passed away eight years after contracting the infection.

"When I walked in he was very, very gaunt, and there were cables everywhere - it was a big shock".

He later added: "We like to sit down and watch the footy and watch the rugby".

In 2016, Katie Ballard applied to the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) when Sam became eligible for a £300,000 package.

Sam's mother, Katie Ballard has previously spoken out about the incident, saying she didn't blame the boys for their playful dare or her son taking them up on it, and that they were just "being mates".

However, in September 2017, she was told this was being cut to AUD $135,000 - a move Katie says has left her family heavily in debt. Media coverage and the family's fight for additional funding and care saw the decision reversed.