High Court to rule on bid to temporarily halt Cuadrilla fracking

  • High Court to rule on bid to temporarily halt Cuadrilla fracking

High Court to rule on bid to temporarily halt Cuadrilla fracking

Campaigner and local resident Robert Dennett tried to prevent the work starting through an interim injunction, arguing that Lancashire CC's emergency planning was inadequate and that it had failed to fully access the safely access risks.

The judge said there was no "serious issue" to be tried and rejected the claim.

It has been announced that fracking can restart in Lancashire after an application for an injunction was turned down by the High Court today.

This will be the first fracking of a horizontal shale gas well since a 2011 attempt by Cuadrilla caused earth tremors, prompting protests, tighter regulations and delays.

Fracking uses hydraulic pressure to break up underground rock, allowing the flow of previously trapped gas.

"I am satisfied that the claimant falls at the first hurdle".

Jamie Peters, of Friends of the Earth, said the court ruling was "sad news for local residents" and it was "simply wrong to be heralding the start of a new fossil-fuel industry".

The judge had been told by Nathalie Lieven QC, for Cuadrilla, that her client "had been intending to start fracking" on Friday, but had "put that off to Saturday" in light of the late hearing.

The judge also refused permission for a judicial review of Lancashire County Council's emergency planning procedures regarding the site.

The fracking process will take approximately three months to complete for both horizontal exploration wells.

Energy firm Cuadrilla say they're "delighted" to finally begin fracking at their site at Little Plumpton near Blackpool.

The process will be followed by the first flow rate tests from fractured horizontal shale gas wells in Britain to ascertain not only whether the well could commercially produce gas but test how similar the prospect is to the shale plays that have transformed the USA gas industry.