New York prosecutor drops part of sex assault case against Harvey Weinstein

  • New York prosecutor drops part of sex assault case against Harvey Weinstein

New York prosecutor drops part of sex assault case against Harvey Weinstein

Brafman asked in August for the entire case against Weinstein be thrown out, disclosing dozens of intimate emails between his client and his alleged rape victim, in which she said "I love you".

A judge in NY has dismissed one of the six sex assault charges against Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein.

Chief of Detectives Dermot Shea says an internal probe of the detective's conduct began a week ago.

A message left on a phone used by the detective in the past wasn't returned.

Brafman has called the charges against Weinstein a product of political pressure amid the #MeToo outcry.

Details of the potential problems with Ms Evans' testimony were not discussed in court, but were expected to be included in court filings set to be unsealed on Thursday. The union represented New York City police detectives also didn't immediately return a message.

An attorney for Evans said she is very disappointed that the prosecution decided not to oppose the defense motion to dismiss the count. They initially declined but Evans later told her she had gone ahead and exposed herself to the film producer in a hallway.

It says the accuser told prosecutors that the inconsistencies may have been caused by a flawed memory. Mr Weinstein has denied all the charges.

"The integrity of these proceedings has been compromised", he said. "Nor does it reflect on Lucia's consistent allegation that she was sexually assaulted with force by Harvey Weinstein", said attorney Carrie Goldberg. Outside court, he suggested that Evans should be prosecuted criminally for perjury.

Four other charges remain in the case against Weinstein before the Manhattan Criminal Court.

Lucia Evans has accused Weinstein of forcing her to perform oral sex on him inside his Tribeca office in 2004, when she was a 21-year-old college student and aspiring actress.

Five remaining charges in the criminal case include claims Weinstein raped a woman in 2013 and forced a sex act on a different woman in 2006.

Weinstein says he is innocent.

Mr Brafman told the judge that Ms Evans had lied to both a grand jury and to The New Yorker about her encounter with Weinstein.

Manhattan's district attorney has dropped part of the criminal case against Harvey Weinstein.

The witness told prosecutors that she and Evans met Weinstein in a bar during summer 2004.

The New York Post, never known for its restraint, blasted out a headline just before the judge dismissed the sexual assault count, wondering if the D.A.'s case is "in danger of falling apart".

Harvey Weinstein has arrived at a NY courthouse where his lawyers are trying to get the charges dismissed in his criminal case.

The disgraced movie mogul was accused in Manhattan state court of allegedly nonconsensual sexual behavior toward three women.

Weinstein's lawyers and prosecutors had been wrangling over the part of the indictment pertaining to Evans' allegations over the last few weeks in closed-door meetings and sealed court papers.

Weinstein appeared in Manhattan Criminal Court on Thursday morning as Judge James Burke made a decision to dismiss count six of the eight-count indictment against the 66-year-old film producer.