Cristiano Ronaldo's lawyer says allegation of rape is 'a complete fabrication'

  • Cristiano Ronaldo's lawyer says allegation of rape is 'a complete fabrication'

Cristiano Ronaldo's lawyer says allegation of rape is 'a complete fabrication'

Cristiano Ronaldo's new Las Vegas lawyer says claims that the Juventus star raped a woman are "complete fabrications" and the encounter was consensual.

The statement declared that documents cited in media reports about Ronaldo's Las Vegas hotel penthouse encounter in 2009 with Kathryn Mayorga were altered before being "irresponsibly published".

"Cristiano Ronaldo has mandated his lawyers in the United States and Europe to deal with all legal aspects and expresses full confidence that the truth will prevail, despite the corruption of counter-information, and in which the laws of Nevada will be enforced and respected".

But the statement called it "absolutely deplorable that any media outlet would support or advance such an elaborate and deliberate defamation campaign based on stolen, easily manipulated digital documents".

Wednesday's statement does verify a non-disclosure agreement between Mayorga and Ronaldo-for which Mayorga was allegedly paid $375,000 for her silence-but the Portuguese star's lawyer stated the agreement is not an admission of guilt or wrongdoing and that the Der Spiegel report is a "breach of that agreement".

Mayorga's attorneys did not immediately respond to messages.

Ronaldo's club, Juventus, has suffered from the allegations, with the Italian club's share price closing nearly 10% down last week as markets reacted.

One of Ronaldo's major sponsors, Nike, said it is "deeply concerned by the disturbing allegations". The lawsuit also seeks monetary damages of at least $200,000. "Once again, for the avoidance of doubt, Cristiano Ronaldo's position has always been, and continues to be, that what happened in 2009 in Las Vegas was completely consensual".

Christiansen declined to comment further.

Mayorga says she was attacked by the Portuguese footballer in a hotel room in the U.S. city that year.

Police in Las Vegas have confirmed they have reopened an investigation into the case, although Ronaldo has categorically denied the claims.

The attorneys said she was "emotionally fragile", out of the country and would not be interviewed by media.

Christiansen replaced high-profile criminal defence attorneys David Chesnoff and Richard Schonfeld as Ronaldo's legal representative in Las Vegas.

"Cristiano Ronaldo vehemently denies all the accusations in this civil action, in consistency with what he has done in the last 9 years", the statement read. He threatened to sue after the German magazine Der Spiegel reported on the lawsuit, saying the article violated Ronaldo's personal rights.