Last remaining kid, coach evacuated from Thai cave

  • Last remaining kid, coach evacuated from Thai cave

Last remaining kid, coach evacuated from Thai cave

In a risky operation led by the Thai navy Seals, an global team managed to get the boys through a complicated and often narrow exit route. A total of 13 people, 12 boys, ages 11-16, and their 25-year-old coach, were initially trapped in the flooded cave since June 23.

Celebrations will be tinged with sadness over the loss of a former Thai navy diver who died last Friday while on a re-supply mission inside the cave in support of the rescue.

He said the group can eat, move about, and talk.

"We know that we can help, and they can be safe", she said in English. People on the street cheered and clapped when ambulances ferrying them on the last leg of their journey from the cave arrived at a hospital in Chiang Rai city.

Rescuers working at a cave site in northern Thailand have suspended operations for the day after bringing four more boys out of the flooded cave system on Monday.

While they were trapped, the boys were invited by Federation Internationale de Football Association to the World Cup Final if they were rescued in time.

Thongchai Lertwilairattanapong, Inspector General of the Public Health Ministry, said the first four boys taken out on Sunday were eating normal and plain food.

Thai officials made the announcement Tuesday - confirming the final group of 4 boys and the coach were freed on day 3 of the rescue mission.

The last five were brought out of the cave on stretchers, one by one over the course of Tuesday, and taken by helicopter to hospital. A second mission, which rescued another four boys, commenced on Monday, July 9.

Staff previously said their first assessments would focus on the boys' breathing and signs of hypothermia, as well as a potentially fatal lung infection known as cave disease. British Prime Minister Theresa May, Iceland's prime minister, Katrín Jakobsdóttir, and Singaporean Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong were among other world leaders who commended the rescue team on social media.

US President Donald Trump hailed the rescue.

Doctors expect the boys to be in the hospital for about seven days, although they could be out sooner if their bloodwork comes back negative for abnormalities.

But while Narongsak Osatanakorn, the head of the joint command centre co-ordinating the operation, acknowledged Musk's offer he said that the mini submarine would not have been practical for the cave rescue. "Our thoughts and prayers are with all those affected".

"We would love to welcome the team from Wild Boars Football Club and their rescuers to Old Trafford this coming season", the club said on its official Twitter account.