Rescuers bring out another boy from flooded Thai cave

  • Rescuers bring out another boy from flooded Thai cave

Rescuers bring out another boy from flooded Thai cave

Chiang Rai acting Gov. Narongsak Osatanakorn, who is heading the rescue, had said the second phase began at 11 a.m. Monday and authorities "hope to hear good news in the next few hours".

He was taken by helicopter and ambulance to the same hospital in Chiang Rai where the first four boys rescued Sunday by a team of global and Thai dive experts are being treated.

Local media are reporting that the first two boys were pulled out an hour ago. The boys were then taken to the eighth floor of the 14-story hospital, which was reserved for the rescued soccer players and their still-stranded teammates and coach.

Australian Federal Police and Defense Force divers, along with Australian cave diver and anesthetist Richard Harris, 53, are part of the team continuing to work on extracting the remaining members of the team.

"Clearly there is a huge risk of someone panicking if they are not used to the diving environment", Tony Haigh, a spokesman for the British Cave Rescue Council, which had two divers that found the boys, told the Post.

In the hours preceding the rescue, a letter the boys had sent to their families was published on the Thai SEALs' Facebook page.

Rain began to fall late Sunday, and more rain is forecast throughout the coming days, which could undo ongoing efforts to drain the flooded caverns where the other boys remain trapped.

The key leg of the rescue is taking the boys from where they have been sheltering and through dark, tight and twisting passageways filled with muddy water and strong currents.

"This morning they said they were hungry and wanted to eat khao pad grapao", Narongsak said, referring to a Thai dish of meat fried with chili and basil and served over rice.

The four boys rescued Sunday are recovering in a nearby hospital and are yet to see their parents.

He told reporters that four boys were brought out and taken to the hospital in the town of Chiang Rai, the provincial capital, for evaluation, and the next phase of the operation will resume after about 10-20 hours.

Ambulances at the hospital are on standby to receive the next batch of boys who are expected to be plucked from the cave.

Sunday, rescuers successfully navigated the first batch of four boys through the perilous escape route.

Last month, twelve members of the Wild Boars soccer team-and their 25-year-old coach-became trapped in the flooded cave when they went exploring after soccer practice.

Sunday, July 1: Divers inch further into the cave, as an operating base is set up inside and hundreds of air tanks and other supplies are pulleyed in. "Just the words "thank you" is not enough to explain all the feelings we have for them".

Saturday, June 30: A break in the rain allows divers to reach further inside the cave but they are still a long distance from where the boys are believed to be.

"Hopefully useful", he said in one tweet. This what we have been racing against since day one.

"If Phra Pirun helps us, we might be able to do it very quickly", Narongsak said, again invoking the god of rain, who is widely revered in Thailand.

There's been no shortage of warnings in recent days about how risky the rescue attempt is - not least the death of former Thai Navy Sgt. Saman Kunan, an ex-SEAL, who died early Friday morning due to a lack of air while attempting to return to a command center deep underground. "I'm so happy the children came out safely".

Asked what she would say when she first sees her grandson, Kiawakham Chantaphoon said, "Grandma loves you the most in the whole world".