Thailand cave rescue: Operation resumes for remaining boys

  • Thailand cave rescue: Operation resumes for remaining boys

Thailand cave rescue: Operation resumes for remaining boys

In total, the mission could last several days, he also said, though the team of global divers on the site are apparently feeling "buoyed" by the success of the operation so far. The rescued children were taken to the hospital, and officials said early Monday that they are strong and safe but need to undergo detailed medical checks.

Some of the boys' parents told Reuters they had not been told who had been rescued and that they were not allowed to visit the hospital.

"We've used all the oxygen", Narongsak said, adding that the clock is continuing to tick for the remaining boys who are still waiting in the cave along with their coach, and rescuers are going to focus on refilling the oxygen tanks so they can continue the operation.

As of this writing, four of the boys have already been rescued but operations have been put on hold to restock on supplies. On Sunday, divers rescued four, and plans were underway to go back in for a second rescue early Monday morning.

Rescuers have suggested that it may take up to two days for the rescue to be completed, with each boy being brought out individually.

"Today was very successful, more than expected", provincial Gov. Narongsak Osatanakorn said Sunday.

Officials have said storms forecast for Chiang Rai province in Thailand's far north had factored into their decision to go ahead with a complicated and unsafe plan for the boys aged between 11 and 16 and their coach to dive out of the cave. Ten of the global divers started the treacherous journey into the mountain, with the remaining three following four hours later at 2pm to operate as fresh back-up divers in the event of a crisis. A former Thai navy SEAL died making the dive on Friday.

The hours that followed kicked off a chain of events that has riveted the world: a dramatic search and rescue that found the boys alive nine days later, huddled on a small, muddy patch surrounded by floodwaters. Officials said Monday that despite rain Monday morning, the weather was holding out so far.

Poonsak Sripiromrak, who runs a shop selling gems, jewelry and religious statues in Mae Si, said the story has kept everyone in town on edge for the more than two weeks since the boys first went missing.

The boys were playing a football game in Chaing Mai on June 23, after which they chose to explore a local cave system. "If the oxygen levels are down and the carbon dioxide levels are up, then you can get too much carbon dioxide in your blood". Thai authorities have repeatedly warned that monsoon rains could rapidly reverse the huge effort that has seen more than 100 million litres of water pumped out of the cave to clear the way for rescuers and smooth the path for the boys.

As with the recovery of his friends' body, Dr Harris has been described as "essential" to a rescue mission to save a young Thai soccer team from their cave prison. On Sunday, he tweeted videos showing the submarine being submerged in the Palisades Charter High School swimming pool in Los Angeles. I'm happy being here inside, the navy SEALS have taken good care. "I want to say thanks for all the support and I want to apologize to the parents", he wrote.