Four more boys rescued from Thailand cave Monday

  • Four more boys rescued from Thailand cave Monday

Four more boys rescued from Thailand cave Monday

"When everything was taken into account, including a forecast of possible rain, the water level and the physical health of those involved, the operation was advanced 4-5 hours". Nine people remained trapped in the cave, including the team's coach, as of Monday morning.

Officials said Sunday it may "take days" to bring the entire group to the surface.

Osatanakorn said a 1.6km-long passage from the cave entrance to the third chamber, a staging ground for the mission, was "mostly walkable", adding: "Although there are some slightly hard parts [where] we have to bend or crawl, we can say that we can just walk through it".

Authorities in northern Chiang Rai province began the unsafe mission to bring out the 12 boys and their coach earlier on Sunday.

Preparations are also under way to manage the mental health of the boys once they are all freed.

With very few details released, parents of the remaining boys in the cave continued their agonising wait to be reunited with their sons.

"Hooyah", the Thai Navy SEALs, who have played a crucial role in the against-the-odds operation, said in a Facebook post as they announced that a total of eight members of the "Wild Boars" football team had been rescued on Sunday and Monday. "Their plan is designed for rescuing four".

The hospital where some of the boys were taken.

Eight boys have been removed from the cave by a team of Thai and worldwide divers.

The plight of the group has transfixed Thailand and the rest of the world, as authorities struggled to locate them and then devise a plan to get the boys and their coach out.

An official briefed on the rescue operation said Monday the rescued kids haven't yet been served the chicken dish but are starting instead with lighter blander food such as diluted porridge.

The boys have been trapped since June 23 and yesterday divers entered the cave to begin rescue operations, successfully freeing four of the boys.

The second rescue involved numerous same divers who evacuated the first four boys Sunday, former Chiang Rai governor Narongsak Osotthanakorn told reporters.

"Our job is not completely done". We ask to pray that this operation is a success. "The rest of the kids are in the same spot".

"If we wait and the rain comes in the next few days we will be exhausted again from pumping and our readiness would drop".

"We are anxious every day", she said. That's how deadly the rescue mission is! .

An update Saturday from the Thai navy said three navy SEALs were with the boys and their coach, one a doctor. Each boy is being accompanied by two divers and it takes about two hours to navigate the flooded and dark tunnels.

Narongsak would not identify the rescued boys.

"The operation is being supervised by the Thai authorities". Let's keep our fingers crossed that the team and their coach, and all those involved with the rescue will be out safely!

British divers Richard Stanton and John Volanthen discovered the boys on Monday. Legal action was underway, they said.

An ambulance believed to be carrying one of the rescued schoolboys leaves from Tham Luang cave complex on day two of the rescue.

In a letter of his own, coach Ekapol Chanthawong apologised to the boys' parents for the ordeal.

At the hospital in Chiang Rai, green canvas sheets had been put up to block the entrance from view. "We're under a lot of pressure", she said, declining to be named because she was not allowed to speak to the media.

The area outside the hospital was cordoned off with police patrolling the area.

Thai Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha was expected to visit the cave site later Monday, after first travelling south to Phuket, where a boat capsizing resulted in 42 deaths, mostly tourists from China.

"For the people who are now bringing the 13.out of the Tham Luang cave, he (Prayuth) wishes safety and success", government spokesman Sansern Kaewkamnerd said.

"Very courageous and talented people!" he tweeted.