UN Chief Concerned Over Air Attacks In Syria's Idlib

  • UN Chief Concerned Over Air Attacks In Syria's Idlib

UN Chief Concerned Over Air Attacks In Syria's Idlib

Moumtzis said most of the newly displaced had been forced on the move by escalations in fighting in the former rebel bastion of Eastern Ghouta and within the northwestern province of Idlib, which is nearly entirely controlled by various jihadist and hardline rebels.

The so-called Syrian Observatory for Human Rights also confirmed the attack, saying, "The overnight attack on al-Foua and Kefraya was the fiercest in three years".

Elsewhere in Syria, he said the numbers of people stuck in besieged or other areas humanitarian workers can not easily access has shrunk dramatically since previous year to just over two million people.

The fighting, which was continuing Sunday, had killed six pro-Damascus fighters and at least three Takfiri elements, he added.

The villages are home to an estimated 8,100 people, a lot of them Shiite Muslims.

UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres called for an investigation into air strikes in the Syrian province of Idlib several days ago, the UN chief's spokesman said in a statement on Sunday.

The Idlib Media Center says 44 civilians were killed by Russian airstrikes on the village of Zardana Thursday.

He recalled that Idlib is part of the de-escalation agreement for Syria reached between Turkey, Russia and Iran, and urged those guarantors to uphold their commitment.

Panos Moumtzis, the United Nations regional humanitarian coordinator, called on major powers to broker a settlement to end the war and avoid a bloodbath in Idlib.

Panos Moumtzis, the United Nations humanitarian coordinator on the Syria crisis, attends a news conference on the latest developments regarding humanitarian access in Syria, in Geneva, Switzerland June 11, 2018. "There is no other location to further move them".

He explained that, due to the increase in armed clashes, during the first four months of the year more than 920,000 Syrian citizens had to leave their homes, the largest increase in the number of displaced persons since the conflict began seven years ago.

HTS and its allies control around 60 percent of the province, its local rivals hold about a third, and the regime controls about ten percent, according to the Observatory.

Despite the fact the Syrian government has regained control of most of the territory and the war is now confined to specific areas, internal displacement continues to be massive, according to the UN.

More than 350,000 people have been killed in the Syrian war since it started in 2011 with the brutal repression of anti-government protests.