North Korea still open to talks with the US

  • North Korea still open to talks with the US

North Korea still open to talks with the US

Vice Foreign Minister Kim Kye Gwan, a longtime nuclear negotiator and senior diplomat, said in a statement carried by state media that the North is "willing to give the USA time and opportunities" to reconsider talks that had been set for June 12 in Singapore.

Shortly before this, Mr Trump welcomed North Korea's willingness to hold talks "at any time", describing it as "warm and productive".

But after a top North Korean foreign ministry official called Vice President Mike Pence a "political dummy," Trump announced the meeting was off, possibly out of concern that Kim would back out first and ultimately embarrass the us president.

North Korea's ally China says the parties involved in the now-canceled U.S.

North Korea said Friday that it's still willing to sit for talks with the United States "at any time, (in) any format", a remarkably restrained and diplomatic response, from a nation noted for its proud belligerence, to U.S. President Donald Trump's abrupt cancellation of a summit with the North's autocratic leader, Kim Jong Un. "Only time (and talent) will tell!".

Separately, US Defence Secretary James Mattis echoed Mr Trump's comments.

Some outside scientists have said the nuclear site was already so badly damaged by previous tests that it was no longer usable.

North Korea has conducted six nuclear weapon tests in the tunnels of the underground site since 2006.

The White House has repeatedly offered mixed messages. "They very much want to do it, we'd like to do it", he told reporters. It was a very nice statement they put out.

The senior US official said the North violated a pledge to allow worldwide inspectors to monitor the supposed implosion of the test site. CBS News correspondent Ben Tracy was the only us broadcast network correspondent to witness it, among a small group of global journalists.

"I believe that this is a tremendous setback for North Korea and, indeed, a setback for the world", said the president in noontime remarks in the White House Roosevelt Room before signing an unrelated bill.

But Pyongyang has vowed it will never give up its nuclear deterrent until it feels safe from what it terms USA aggression.

On Friday, North Korea's vice foreign minister said his country's "objective and resolve to do our best for the sake of peace and stability of the Korean Peninsula and all humankind remain unchanged". Such tactics are frustratingly familiar for anyone who has dealt with North Korean officials. North Korea's switch to a tougher stance may reflect some behind-the-scenes influence by China, as Trump has suggested.

WATCH: Trump Pulls Out of Summit With N. Korea: What's Next? He unveiled the date and the time with characteristic showmanship.

Trump abruptly cancelled the summit scheduled in Singapore on June 12.

Trump's aides had warned that merely agreeing to the summit had provided Kim with long-sought worldwide legitimacy and, if Trump ultimately backed out, risked fostering the perception that the president was insufficiently committed to diplomatic solutions to the nuclear question.

A senior administration official in the U.S. later gave further details, saying North Korea had shown "a profound lack of good faith".

May 10: Trump announces he will meet with Kim in Singapore on June 12.

"We got a lot of dial tones, Senator", he told committee chairman Bob Corker. He urged Trump and Kim to talk directly.

But the chances of success for the unprecedented face-to-face had recently been thrown into doubt as threats were traded by both sides.