Gubernatorial candidate Boulton suspends campaign following sexual misconduct allegations

  • Gubernatorial candidate Boulton suspends campaign following sexual misconduct allegations

Gubernatorial candidate Boulton suspends campaign following sexual misconduct allegations

Boulton had been running second in the race for the nomination, according to a Des Moines Register poll, trailing Des Moines businessman Fred Hubbell, 31 percent to 20 percent.

Democratic Iowa gubernatorial candidate Nate Boulton has been accused of sexual misconduct by three women, the Des Moines Register reported Wednesday. "I will do all I can to support that mission and will never stop fighting for progressive causes", Boulton said in the statement. "That means making sure we have the wage growth we need, that we have the quality of life for workers in this state, so that they want to stay here, so that our youngest-our best and brightest-stay in our communities across Iowa, and that we can recruit the next generation of skilled workers that we need".

Nate Boulton has dropped out of the governor's race, according to a prepared statement his campaign released this morning.

Boulton indicated yesterday he had no intentions of dropping out of the race.

Iowa Democrats condemned Boulton's alleged behavior but stopped short of calling for him to leave the race.

The Republican Party of Iowa called on Boulton to step down as a candidate and as state senator. Early voting for the June 5 primary began May 7.

"Sexual harassment is unacceptable whether it occurs in a social or professional setting", Petersen said in a statement.

Boulton has been a favorite of labor unions and trial lawyers, two Democratic constituencies who collectively have financed much of his campaign.

He also had won the endorsement of several unions in the state, including the influential AFSCME, Council 61.

The allegations were revealed in a Des Moines Register article in which Boulton was interviewed. Some have also demanded he resign from the Iowa Senate, an issue he did not address in his statement.

Sexual misconduct has gained national prominence in the past year after the #MeToo movement highlighted alleged inappropriate behavior from powerful men in media, politics and other industries. The state later reached a $1.75 million settlement. He resigned in March after video surfaced that showed the married Shell Rock Republican kissing a Statehouse lobbyist who wasn't his wife. But immediately after announcing the suspension of his campaign, Senate Democratic Leader Janet Petersen, D-Des Moines, called on him to resign that position as well. After those details were made public, she announced an independent investigation into the agency.