National Guard refutes report that governor is rejecting border assignment

  • National Guard refutes report that governor is rejecting border assignment

National Guard refutes report that governor is rejecting border assignment

"With the National Guard providing this much-needed support in the Del Rio Sector area of operations, Border Patrol agents will be free to concentrate on border enforcement", officials stated.

President Donald Trump signed an executive order two weeks ago, requesting National Guard troops from the four states that border Mexico to deploy troops to assist Border Patrol. The state originally informed federal officials it will not allow its troops to fix and repair vehicles, operate remotely-controlled surveillance cameras to report suspicious activity to the Border Patrol, operate radios and provide "mission support", which can include clerical work, buying gas and handling payroll, according to officials with knowledge of the talks who spoke condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the matter. Earlier this month, President Donald Trump and Protection Secretary James Mattis licensed Upto 4,000 National Guard staff that will assist the Department of Homeland Protection secure the border from several southwestern USA states.

"Thank you Jerry, good move for the safety of our Country!" the president wrote.

California National Guard spokesman Lt. Col. Thomas Keegan told the Associated Press on Monday that the state was awaiting a formal response from the Trump administration.

The Trump administration says it will send as many as 4,000 to cope with a jump in illegal crossings, after arrests along the Mexico border hit their highest level in 15 months.

Vitiello made the comments to reporters in Washington Monday after two US officials told The Associated Press said terms of the federal government's initial plans for sending National Guard troops to the border because the work is considered too closely tied to immigration. So far, funding for Trump's wall proposal has not passed Congress.

Pentagon officials said Monday they are still calculating what the troop deployment will cost.