Road rage case: Navjot Sidhu goes on the back foot

  • Road rage case: Navjot Sidhu goes on the back foot

Road rage case: Navjot Sidhu goes on the back foot

Announcing this, the sate Local Government Minister Navjot Singh Sidhu said that the State Government is fully committed to the development as well as modernization of the fire services and it was the part of this commitment that a Fire Directorate has already been established and very soon a Fire Safety Act would also be in force.

According to CNN News18, the lawyer appearing for the Punjab government told a bench of Justices J Chelameswar and Sanjay Kishan Kaul that the statement given by the former cricketer denying his involvement in the case is false.

Addressing a press conference at the party headquarters, Akali leader Daljit Singh Cheema said, "It is unusual that the govt is sending one report to the Supreme Court endorsing the murder conviction against Sidhu, but has refused to follow it up with an appropriate communication to the governor". Saron reportedly told the court that the trial court's findings that the victim died of cardiac arrest were wrong. "Accused A1 (Navjot Singh Sidhu) had given feisty blow to deceased Gurnam Singh, leading to his death through brain haemorrhage", the State government counsel told the Bench. Family of the victim has appealed to the Supreme Court that earlier imprisonment sentence of three years given by Punjab and Haryana High Court should be enhanced.

Citing the inquest report, the state government said that two prosecution witnesses - Jaswinder Singh and Avtar Singh - were with Gurnam Singh when he was taken to the hospital and even there statements were recorded.

Sources in the government said the state's stand was discussed at a higher level before being sent to the SC.

But High Court suspended the sentences to allow Sidhu and his accomplice to approach the Supreme Court.

Sidhu was acquitted of the murder charges of Gurnam Singh by the trial court in September 1999.

Sidhu on December 27, 1988 had hit senior citizen Gurnam Singh (65) on his head after an argument between them on a road in Patiala. As far as what the Punjab government said in the Supreme Court, Sidhu said, "It was said openly". The injured was taken to a hospital, where he was declared dead.