Tom Petty died of an accidental drug overdose, family says

  • Tom Petty died of an accidental drug overdose, family says

Tom Petty died of an accidental drug overdose, family says

The medical examiner said the 66-year-old died of multi-system organ failure from cardiac arrest as a result of "mixed drug toxicity".

In a post shared to Petty's Facebook page on Friday evening, Petty's wife, Dana, and daughter, Adria, wrote that Petty had "many serious ailments including emphysema, knee problems and most significantly a fractured hip". But despite the hip injury, he toured for 53 dates, which worsened the fracture. "It is our feeling the pain was simply unbearable and was the cause for his overuse of medication", the statement said.

The autopsy says Petty suffered from coronary artery atherosclerosis.

The lead singer of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers suffered cardiac arrest in his home on October 3, and was taken via ambulance to a UCLA Medical Center, where he could not be revived and was pronounced dead.

His family said they suspected he died of an accidental overdose and the coroner's report confirmed their beliefs.

The family went on to say that they knew before the coroner informed them of the overdose that Petty was prescribed several pain medications for his ongoing health issues, and those medications included Fentayl patches. He was extremely proud of that achievement in the days before he passed.

The Petty family also acknowledged the nationwide opioid crisis, writing that they "hope in some way this report can save lives".

Petty was was one of the bestselling musicians of all time, known particularly for his own solo career and his time as a member of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.

Tom's family and friends continue to be in our thoughts during this hard time.