Water Main Break Floods JFK Terminal

  • Water Main Break Floods JFK Terminal

Water Main Break Floods JFK Terminal

A water main break at John F. Kennedy International Airport Sunday forced officials to evacuate a terminal and cancel flights - escalating a series of blunders for the airport following closures and cancellations due to Thursday's massive storm.

"There are about three inches of water inside the west end of Terminal 4", Ladd said.

PANYNJ said power to the affected areas of the terminal was shut off for safety reasons.

At the time of this writing, the airport was experiencing departure and arrival delays of more than two hours.

Cotton said it was "totally unacceptable" that the arrivals area was closed for four hours, adding: "It is not what the Port Authority expects in terms of providing service to its passengers, and it is totally not what the Port Authority expects from its private operators". While the water main break appeared to be weather-related, Cotton said officials would examine whether "any other failures" contributed to the problem. The authority said it will "hold those responsible accountable for any shortcomings we find". Almost 50 flights were canceled and more than 300 delayed by Sunday afternoon, according to FlightAware.

"I'm so angry words can't even express how I feel right now", Bill Carver, a traveler from Austin, Texas, told CBS New York.

Footage from the airport in NY showed water pouring into terminal four through the ceiling, with several centimetres of water rising around piles of stacked luggage.

According to NBC Miami, employees at the JFK Airport were working to diminish the backlog of flights when two airplanes collided on the runway, stalling the progress made towards connecting customers with flights.

Passengers arriving at the Queens airport said on Twitter they have waited as many as six hours on the tarmac before their plane docked at a gate, then as many as eight hours to collect their baggage from carousels.

Cotton said Monday, "Gates were not made available to inbound worldwide flights in a timely way, and the question on the table is why".

The Port Authority, which manages the airport, said a water pipe break flooded the arrivals hall at Terminal 4 just before 2 p.m. and that the authority is opening an investigation into the cause. As of Monday morning, domestic and worldwide flights are running with delays.

"There's still like a hundred people waiting for their luggage", he told French Press Agency (AFP).

The Port Authority tried to diffuse the anger of JFK patrons by releasing the following statement. Chuck Schumer is calling for a thorough review of what went wrong. "The delays were so bad, they weren't going to be able to leave until Sunday, Jan. 7", Stephenson said, so the clients eventually canceled. The JFK jumble inspired the damning hashtag #BaggageApocalypse after customers had to wait days just to claim their luggage. A total of 4,773 flights were delayed into or out of the U.S. Saturday and another 5,665 were delayed Sunday, according to FlightAware. The airline said it was working with authorities in NY to investigate.