Port Authority bombing suspect pleads not guilty to terror charges

  • Port Authority bombing suspect pleads not guilty to terror charges

Port Authority bombing suspect pleads not guilty to terror charges

"In selecting this time and place, Ullah's alleged goal in the Port Authority bombing was painfully clear: to inflict as much damage as possible, and to strike fear into the hearts of New Yorkers in the name of ISIS".

Ullah could face life in prison if he is convicted of all charges in the attack, which occurred in a pathway linking the subway to the Port Authority bus terminal in Manhattan.

"We have to balance the need for speed with a need to give you the opportunity to prepare your defense", Sullivan said to Ullah, who answered several yes-or-no questions from the judge.

Authorities said the 27-year-old from Bangladesh picked the location and time during the morning commute hoping to kill as many people as possible.

Akayed Ullah, who was indicted on federal terrorism charges for a bombing in a New York City subway station last December, has pleaded not guilty.

Provoking fleeting panic on December 11, 2017, the attack caused no physical injuries except for Ullah, whom authorities rushed to Bellevue Hospital where doctors stitched him up and dressed his wounds.

Akayed Ullah faces numerous charges including providing material support to a terrorist organization, using a weapon of mass destruction and bombing a place of public use and a public transportation system.

Prosecutor George Turner said prosecutors had gathered materials for the case including surveillance videos, photos from the crime scene, DNA evidence, statements that Ullah made to officials after his arrest, postings from his social-media accounts, e-mails, MetroCard data, and phone records.

During a search of his Brooklyn apartment investigators recovered a passport with a handwritten note reading: "O America, die in your rage", as well as metal pipes, screws similar to those found at the explosion site, and wires, the complaint said.

Addressing reporters today, Ullah's attorney Amy Gallicchio emphasized the importance of due process. Only he was seriously injured.

Meanwhile, Ullah will seek medical attention inside Manhattan's Metropolitan Correctional, where attorneys say that he needs treatment to remove his stitches and replace his dressing.