Russian Military Repels Coordinated Drone Attack in Syria

  • Russian Military Repels Coordinated Drone Attack in Syria

Russian Military Repels Coordinated Drone Attack in Syria

The Russian Defense Ministry said on January 8 that there were no casualties or damage as a result of the attacks on the Hmeimim air base and Tartus naval facility.

No radical groups have taken responsibility for the attacks, though military sources say that they were likely carried out by Ahrar al-Sham, a terrorist organization banned in Russian Federation, the Kommersant business daily reported.

After preventing the attack, the Russian military analyzed the design of and ammunition inside the seized UAVs, saying that such drones could have been supplied to the militants only by a country that is capable of "providing satellite navigation and remote control for the dropping of explosive devices".

Besides, the Russian Defense Ministry has voiced concern over the statements made by a Pentagon spokesman, in which he said that technologies used to attack the Russian military facilities were easily available on the open market.

More than 40 Russian military personnel died in Syria since Moscow launched a campaign of air strikes in September 2015, in many cases using Hmeimim as a base. The Russian military either destroyed or took control of the UAVs used in the attack. The ministry said there was no damage. Putin later announced Russian Federation would maintain a "permanent presence" at the Tartus and Hmeymim bases.

Last month, the Russian army began a partial withdrawal from Syria under the command of President Vladimir Putin, soon after Syrian troops supported by Russian servicemen completed the destruction of the Islamic State in the war-torn country.