Effort to kill spider with torch causes apartment fire

  • Effort to kill spider with torch causes apartment fire

Effort to kill spider with torch causes apartment fire

Residents of a Californian apartment block have been forced out of their homes after a man set the building on fire while trying to kill a spider by setting it alight.

Officials said the fire caused about Dollars 11,000 in damage and some apartments in the building were "uninhabitable" now.

The witness, caregiver Lyndsey Wisegarver, told the paper the man was attempting to kill a "huge wolf spider" with the torch lighter - a larger kind of cigarette light that emits a pressurized blue flame.

You might also be interested in.
.

No one was injured, however the fire did cause about $11,000 in damage.

The Redding Fire Department said that they do not yet have an official designation for what started the fire and will investigate the claim about the spider.

Pitt said the fire spread to a closet in the bedroom, but firefighters were able to keep it from getting into the attic or neighboring apartments.

Fire officials say they responded to 2534 Waldon Street in Redding around noon for a fire at a townhouse. The unit they were living in is uninhabitable, Pitt said.

Firefighters from the Redding Fire Department rushed to the scene, arriving to find smoke streaming out of the second floor of the building.

Wisegarver said they had been thinking for some time they wanted to move out. 'We'll make it work, ' she added.