Takuma Sato wins 101st Indianapolis 500

Takuma Sato won the 101st Indianapolis 500 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway on Sunday, marking his first Indianapolis 500 victory.

Rookie Ed Jones was third, followed by Britain's Max Chilton, Brazil's Tony Kanaan, Colombia's Juan Pablo Montoya and 2016 victor Alexander Rossi.

In a frenetic finish to a typically hectic and lengthy affair strewn with yellow caution flags, Andretti Autosport's Takuma Sato, formerly of Jordan, BAR and Super Aguri, got the better of Helio Castroneves and held off the Brazilian veteran to become the first Japanese victor of the Indy 500.

Sato, a former Formula One driver, had only won one IndyCar race previously since joining the series in 2010.

"It's true that before coming here some of the questions were how you can trade Monaco race for Indy 500", Alonso told reporters after playfully chugging on a carton of milk, the traditional drink of the Indy 500 victor. "I lifted, trying to be a nice guy". I will not give up this dream.

"It was a tough, tough, race".

"Helio really drives fair".

"I'm really happy for Honda". "It was a fantastic race".

The race was littered with caution periods, although the first one took 53 laps to arrive.

"You've got to go for it; run it flat", he said, "and we did it and pulled away".

"I [tried] everything I could with three laps to go", he said". It's his second career IndyCar win. He is due for a win and I think he gets it. "Unfortunately I was not able to do it".

"We sort of knew you're going with the odds when you have six cars", said Sato team owner Michael Andretti, whose cars had two of the failed engines.

Kerber has not been playing at all like one of the best at what she does, and on Sunday she became the first woman seeded No. 1 to lose in the French Open's first round in the professional era. "It's a shame. Who knows what it could be?"

He wanted desperately to return to the track for "The Greatest Spectacle in Racing" - he refused to use a wheelchair - and plans to be back behind the wheel for the season finale at Sonoma Raceway in mid-September.

Concerns of a failure had been raised earlier in the 500-mile event when teammate Ryan Hunter-Reay's engine gave way on Lap 140.

Sato also had to hold off the savvy Castroneves.

Sato, who raced in F1 between 2002 and 2008 before switching to the American series, took the lead on lap 195 before successfully fending off the challenge of veteran Brazilian Castroneves.

But it was Sato, known as a fearless driver, that made the decisive pass. He is looking for a first Indy 500 victory.

Attrition was a factor with nine of the 33 cars eliminated in accidents.

It's been a rollercoaster trip to Indianapolis for Dixon, a New Zealander who turned the fastest qualifying laps since 1996 to land on the pole. Dixon's vehicle was torn in two but both drivers were able to walk away from the incident.

"(I'm) a little beaten up", Dixon told ABC. However, the tub of the auto stayed intact and Dixon emerged with only an injured ankle.

"I ducked and closed my eyes", he laughed.

That impact sent Howard across the track, where Dixon had nowhere to go.

But things started to go awry for two-time F1 world champion Alonso when he lost a few places on the restart that followed the Hunter-Reay caution period.

Both Scott Dixon and Jay Howard were unharmed from the crash which led to the Indy 500 going under a red flag for 18 and a half minutes.

But that's not the only opinion out there about Alonso being at the top of the field in the Indy 500.

"It has been an incredible experience", he said. I didn't know if I can be as quick as anyone in an Indy auto.

Alonso said Sato has been a big help to him during his preparation for the Indianapolis 500.